Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Mayor of Tenacatita

Google up these words "The Mayor of Tenacatita" and you will come up with a surprising number of sailboat blogs talking about the anchorage at BahiaTenacatita, a day south of Bandaras Bay and just north of Barra de Navidad.  These wonderful anchorages and harbors are on the Mexico Pacific coast in an area referred to as Costalegre, The Happy Coast.  This bay has the distinction of having an on-the-water "Mayor".  We met a former Tenacatita mayor when we were in Mazatlan. Don of the Islander 36 Windward Love held the mayor's office down there for many years before he relocated north to Mazatlan where he holds court there at the dock in his power boat Wazoo. 

Robert and Virginia with Chris Stockard (former Mayor) looking on.
We had looked forward to the anchorage at Tenacatita as it has quite a reputation as being a quiet, friendly bay, a cruiser's haven.  We  met Robert and Virginia Gleser on the ketch "Harmony" at Los Muertos in December.  Virginia is the author of the book "Harmony on the High Seas, When Your Mate Becomes Your Matey".

Robert and Virginia were heading south to Tenacatita and we were heading north to LaPaz.  We didn't know it at the time but they were headed south because Robert had some mayoral duties to fulfill.

On the way down, Robert took stints as the Sonrisa net controller.  Once at Tenacatita his duties as Mayor began in earnest.  He's been doing this for quite a few years, and before him there was another mayor, and before him, another.... etc... since time began.  The mayor is an unpaid position, involves no courthouse or building whatsoever and might be described as a type of social director gig.  Robert fills it well, directing the local VHF net, helping out other boaters with questions about life, and giving advice on matters of a nautical nature.  But the most important duty is the Friday night dinghy raft up where the Mayor holds court, resolving issues, introducing boaters to each other, sharing stories, and encouraging the passing around of Hors d'oeuvres. On our Friday night we had about 20 dinghies all rafted up in a circle with Robert pontificating in the center.  Note that Robert is authorized to perform marriages or divorces (in effect while at sea).



The Mayor tells a little story.  In the background is Heather Stockard who has published "A Cruising Cook's Guide to Mexico".

He begins with a short speech addressing the, "Citizens of Tenacatita" then starts a round robin where each boater introduces their crew and gives their well thought reply to the Mayor's Friday night topic.   When our turn came, I introduced our crew and told our short story.  The topic of the evening happened to be "How you met your spouse."  That's a story I love to tell... about our first date when Scott Voltz fell head over heels in love with Connie Bunyer.

I'll tell it now, just because it is Valentines day.

Connie and I met online on Plenty of Fish, a free internet dating service.  We chatted a little, had some phone calls and after a while I decided to drive to Olympia to meet her for tea.  I fought the I-5 traffic for a couple of hours and arrived at her workplace, the Olympia Food Co-op and found her in the produce department with a cash drawer full of money in her hand.  She finished her shift and we drove to a nearby Mexican restaurant for tacos instead of tea.  With the food in front of us, she would look left then right but not into my eyes.  So I worked on her for awhile with my glib tongue and pleasant demeanor until finally she looked me in the eye. She then broke out in that wonderful smile she has and I knew that we were going to get along just fine, very fine.

Just when I thought it was time to go back to Seattle, she asked me a favor.  Her son Ezrah had her car and would I give her a ride home please?  No Problem, I'm always up for helping out a beautiful woman.  So to her house we went.  No keys?  No Problem.  I hoisted her up and she flew through the kitchen window to appear in an instant at the front door.  We talked, she showed me some Yoga moves then she asked me another favor.  Could I give her a ride now to her second job?
Classic photo of Ocho Pies

No problem.  Then we loaded some musical instruments into my van and off we went to the Waterstreet Cafe and Bar where I helped her bring in her kit, met the band, and had myself a glass of wine.  Her band, Ocho Pies, was playing two sets that evening.  Now I'm getting really impressed by this time.  The lights dimmed, Connie stepped into the light wearing a glittering full length dress that accentuated her slim physique.

And then she started singing.  Wow.

She looked me in the eye and sang love song after love song, in Spanish.  I was a gonner.  I felt like Humphrey Bogart standing in the back of the cabaret watching Lauren Bacall up on stage.

After the first set Connie came straight up to me and we walked around the place a little.  There was a back door to the alley, we fell through it and came face to face, inches apart, centimeters apart, millimeters apart. Our lips brushed.  Then we heard the band tuning up, clearly a hint for Connie to come back onstage.  They started their second set, and it being Sunday night I realized that my one hour tea with Connie had turned out to be an all afternoon and into the night affair and I had better get home before it got too late.  After a couple more songs I slipped out the back and headed home.  On stage, Connie saw me leave and her wonderful smile lessened a bit but when the next song came up she gave it all she was worth.  That was three years ago and we've been constant companions ever since.

That's the story I told at the Mayor of Tenacatita's raft up February 8, 2013.

Connie and our neighbors Richard and Brian from S/V Osprey

After everyone told their stories of how they met, we ate and drank, and Connie played a few songs for the raft up participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment