Thursday, March 21, 2013

One picture says it all

You can read into this picture what it is like to live the cruising life here in Mexico.  Note the laundry man with his big shady hat.  It is hot here, and the sun is bright.

Our laundry facility is simple. The orange bucket is the wash cycle, the green bucket is the rinse. The blue bottle  is the soap appropriately named Foca.  Foca this!  Add soap to fresh water, add clothing, agitate, rearrange, agitate again.  Wring, rinse, wring, rinse.  Wring out, this time with force, and hang to dry.  Wait a couple of hours and everything is baked to perfection.

We have two sheets for the bed, one fitted, one not, and five pillow cases.  Yes, Connie and I share five pillows in our bed.  Two for Connie, two for Scott and one for Monkey.  Count three nylon shorts for Scott and three pairs of underwear  That's all I need. And four short sleeved button shirts to give my ensemble a tropical flair.  Notice there are no socks, none needed.

The perceptive eye will note the three little backpacks hanging off the bow. These I needed to rinse after our dinghy dunking a few days ago.

I guess we could title this picture, "How I spent my morning at the dock."

Lest you think that laundry day is a chore, it is not.  It is a pleasure splashing about with the fresh water hose, knowing that later, when the sun is high, I will lay in the shade and have a glass beside me with ice cubes.



Manzanillo Harbor where we went to visit the port captain.
After shopping at the mercado in Manzanillo we stopped for some Tacos de Cochinita at this little please.  They were delicious, somewhat spicy, with a nice broth and cost 18 pesos for a plate of two.  That's about $1.50 in gringo money.

1 comment:

  1. I was in San Juan de Sur, Nicaragua and a little place there had 2 tacos and a beer $1 US. They use the dollar as the de-facto currency. CaptainJohn49

    ReplyDelete